Target: Florida Legislation Members
Goal: Vote against bill that would give banks unfair and unconstitutional advantages in disputing foreclosure cases with homeowners
A bill known as HB-87 is being put before Congress after having been sponsored by four different Republican Florida Representatives. The bill, if passed, would give banks and bankers several unfair and unconstitutional advantages when it came to disputing foreclosure cases with homeowners. In a nutshell, the bill would grant banks five major conditions of advantage:
1. It would give bankers an unfair advantage in current foreclosure cases by retroactively changing the rules for pending foreclosure cases. This has always been forbidden under state and federal law.
2. It would allow banks to foreclose on a homeowner’s property without being challenged.
3. It would provide a safe harbor for banks to commit fraud that cannot be challenged later.
4. It would make it nearly impossible to defend a property foreclosure in Florida.
5. Lastly, it would deprive homeowners of their right to be heard in court, thus encouraging more fraud attempts from banks.
Among the bill’s sponsors is Republican Legislator Ray Rodrigues of Ft. Myers whose campaign promises included his desire to “cut wasteful and fraudulent spending” and “demand accountability from our government,” an odd thing to promise considering HB-87 will remove virtually all accountability for banks and give them free reign to file fraudulent foreclosure cases.
Other sponsors include Matt Caldwell of Lehigh Acres, George Moraitis of Ft. Lauderdale, and the bill’s chief sponsor Kathleen Passidomo of Naples, all of whom received large campaign contributions from major banks. Help urge Florida Legislators to vote against HB-87 and prevent banks from driving even more Florida residents out of their homes.
Dear Florida Legislators,
I urge you to vote against HB-87 being put up before Congress because of its unfair and unconstitutional stance regarding banks and their foreclosure disputes with Florida homeowners. Many Florida residents have already been driven out of their homes thanks to unfair and often fraudulent cases filed by major banks This bill would only put more power into the wrong hands were it to pass.
The people of Florida have suffered enough because of corporate greed. By signing this petition, I am urging you to consider the needs of the people over the needs of big business. Major banks don’t need more power, but people do need their homes.
[Your Name Here]