Praise Egyptian Government for Arresting Preacher who Encouraged Rape of Female Protesters

abuislam

Target: Talaat Ibrahim, Attorney General of Egypt

Goal: Praise arrest of radical Salafist preacher Abu Islam who was advocating for the rape and sexual harassment of female protesters

A Salafist (form of radical Islamism) preacher known as Abu Islam has been arrested for advocating the rape and sexual harassment of female protesters in Tahrir Square. He called the women “crusaders” who “have no shame, no fear and not even feminism (sic) [possible mistranslation, he may have meant femininity].” He said that women that go to Tahrir Square to protest are asking to be raped and sexually assaulted. He was arrested and charged with defaming Islam for his remarks. Sign the petition to applaud his arrest.

Abu Islam is owner of the private TV channel “al-Ummah”. He has sparked outrage for his radical views on women and Christians. His remarks followed the rape and sexual assault of 25 female protesters in Tahrir Square. He disparaged the female protesters, saying “ And by the way, 90 percent of them are crusaders and the remaining 10 percent are widows who have no one to control them. You see women talking like monsters.” He stated that the reason women were going to Tahrir Square was because they desired to be raped and sexually abused. He condemned socially liberal Muslim women by referring to them as “Muslimix”, “You see a woman with this fuzzy hair! A devil! Devils called women. Learn from Muslim women, learn and be Muslims. There are Muslims and Muslimix.” In addition to his disgustingly misogynist statements, Abu Islam is also facing charges for ripping up and burning a Bible in a protest in front of the US embassy.

After receiving complaints about him Egyptian Public Prosecution arrested and charged him with defaming Islam. In Egypt harming religious sentiment is a crime. In the past, the law was used to target Shia and Christians who insulted Islam. Sign the petition to praise the Egyptian government for taking a stand and showing that the advocacy of sexual violence is unforgivable.

PETITION LETTER:

Dear Attorney General Ibrahim,

I am writing as a human rights activist to praise your arrest of the preacher known as Abu Islam who advocated that female protesters in Tahrir Square be raped and sexually assaulted. His advocacy of sexual violence on women who engage in political action is unforgivable. Among his outrageous statements were that women who went to protest in Tahrir Square desired to be raped and sexually abused. He referred to socially liberal Muslim women as “Muslimix” and “devils”.

I am writing to applaud the Egyptian government for taking a strong stand against his hateful and misogynist rhetoric. I hope you consider taking further action to protect female protesters at Tahrir Square. Every Egyptian has a fundamental right to appear in public places without fear of violence.

Sincerely,

[Your Name Here]

Photo Credit: Hakawi via WordPress Blog

Sign the Petition

  • Only your name will be displayed. By signing, you accept our terms and may receive updates on this and related causes.
FacebookCare2 NewsTwitterEmailShare

2 Comments

  1. greer griffith says:

    Thank you for your brave and strong stand against what is wrong.

  2. Nobody preaching, acting and setting examples of violence can be a preacher.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Facebook Comments

comments

286 Signatures

  • James Thrailkill
  • Eric von Borstel
  • Hermann Kastner
  • Muhammad Kamal
  • sheila childs
  • Mal Gaff
  • Terrie Phenicie
  • jeff hopkins
  • Marianne Oelman
  • Holly Hall
1 of 29123...29
Skip to toolbar