Ban Use of Toxic Rat Poison in California

Flipperfox

Target: California Department of Pesticide Regulation

Goal: End use of toxic rat poison in California

To control its rat problem, the state of California uses a “super-toxic” form of poison. If ingested, the poison causes sickness, disorientation, and interferes with the body’s clotting ability. When an animal eats this substance, it becomes very ill and will quickly bleed to death if injured.

While using this poison on rats is itself a problem, the main concern is that the substance is commonly ingested by animals it was not meant to kill. Eagles, hawks, owls, foxes, bobcats, and mountain lions have all been found dying from either eating the substance directly or, more commonly, eating rodents that had the substance in their bodies. Many of these animals are already endangered due to pollution and over-population, so rat poison is adding to the threats they must survive through.

Along with killing innocent animals, the rat poison has also harmed human children. There have been many instances where kids camping or hiking with their families have come across and somehow ingested the poison. They were then stricken by severe illness and were forced to endure prolonged medical treatment to rid their bodies of any harmful substances.

Obviously, this “super-toxic” rat poison is not good for California. The children and wildlife of the state should not be in danger because the rat population is increasing. There are many natural pesticides that can be used in place of this poison that will not pose so many environmental and health risks. Tell the California Department of Pesticide Regulation to remove this toxic poison from state lands and replace it with a more natural option.

PETITION LETTER:

Dear California Department of Pesticide Regulation,

I know the rat population in your state is increasing and your job is to ensure that it does not get out of control. Managing the rats through poison usage has been shown to be very effective, and I understand your eagerness to implement this method.

However, the “super-toxic” substance that is currently used to kill the rats is very bad for California. Many of the state’s wild creatures are dying from either eating the poison directly, or, more commonly, eating a rodent that has the substance in its body. These animals are already endangered due to pollution and over-population, so rat poison is adding to the threats they must survive through.

Furthermore, the poison is very dangerous for California’s children. Too many kids have become ill after eating or ingesting the poison on camping and hiking trips. They have required prolonged medical treatments to ensure no poisonous substances remain in their bodies.

Californians should not have to worry about being poisoned on their camping trips, and wild animals should not become sick after eating their natural prey. There are many other less dangerous forms of pesticides that can be used to control the state’s rat problem. Please discontinue use of this toxic poison and help protect the health and safety of California’s wild and human residents.

Sincerely,

[Your Name Here]

Photo credit: Matthew Thomas via WikiCommons

Sign the Petition

  • Only your name will be displayed. By signing, you accept our terms and may receive updates on this and related causes.
FacebookCare2 NewsTwitterEmailShare

2 Comments

  1. We have the same problems over here in to UK although the stronger poisons Brodifacoum / Flocoumafen are limited to indoor use only. when they get into the wrong hands they are often used outdoors. hopefully we are going to see a few changes in the law this year regarding the use of semi acute poisons.

  2. Ruth Rogers Ruth Rogers says:

    (Trap, neuter of rats.?)
    Please sign this petition to help stop the use of this poison and encourage the use of another method.
    (Trap, neuter of rats.?)
    The following from the petition:”Too many kids have become ill after eating or ingesting the poison on camping and hiking trips. They have required prolonged medical treatments to ensure no poisonous substances remain in their bodies.”
    Many Animals that ate the rodents of the poison have already died.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Facebook Comments

comments

884 Signatures

  • Eric von Borstel
  • Julia Amsler
  • Mal Gaff
  • sheila childs
  • Marianne Oelman
  • joan walker
  • Dorothea Orgo
  • Holly Hall
  • Rebecca Williams
  • Terrie Phenicie
1 of 88123...88
Skip to toolbar