Target: York County Prison
Goal: Install carbon monoxide detectors in York County Prison to prevent more illness and death
In a central Pennsylvania prison, 49 female inmates were stricken with carbon monoxide poisoning. All the affected inmates were hospitalized before they recovered enough to be returned to prison. It is believed that the carbon monoxide came from the air conditioning and ventilation system. The carbon monoxide levels have returned to normal, but all prisoners have been moved to a safer part of the prison until a full investigation is completed. So far the other 200 inmates have not fallen ill.
The carbon monoxide was able to reach dangerous levels due to a lack of carbon monoxide detectors in the prison. The leak was only discovered after inmates began falling ill. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very serious issue and can often be more deadly than smoke inhalation during a fire.
In light of the incident, prison staff has begun to discuss installing carbon monoxide detectors. However, while the issue is being brought to the prison staff’s attention, no conclusive action has been taken to install detectors. Safety precautions consisted solely of moving inmates to another part of the prison.
Sign the petition below, and encourage York County Prison to install carbon monoxide detectors. Inmates are wards of the state, and it is the state’s responsibility to provided safe housing. Regardless of the crimes they have committed, these prisoners have not been sentenced to death by carbon monoxide poisoning.
Dear York County Prison,
Recently, 49 of your inmates had to be hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning. Installing carbon monoxide detectors could have easily prevented this. As a ward of the state, inmates have a right to safe housing. Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive and require little maintenance.
I urge you to install carbon monoxide detectors to protect your inmates and staff. Carbon monoxide poisoning can quickly become deadly. Since carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas, people might not know there’s danger until it’s too late. This oversight is putting, not only inmates at risk, but prison staff and visitors as well.
Simply moving inmates to another part of the prison is not an acceptable solution. Your air conditioning system should be replaced, and carbon monoxide detectors installed to prevent further illness. Regardless of the inmate’s crimes, they were not sentenced to death by carbon monoxide poisoning.
[Your Name Here]
Photo Credit: BayCityGuide.com