Target: North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources
Goal: Apologize to community residents who were unaware of their contaminated drinking water for 6 years
Recently, residents of a community in Wake Forest, North Carolina learned that water from local wells had been contaminated with trichloroethylene (TCE), a chemical which can cause cancer. However, what shocked these residents is learning that the state had known about the contamination for the past 6 years, and had never informed the people or made any effort to clean the water.
TCE has been proven to cause leukemia, breast cancer, and lung cancer. There is also a link between the chemical and Parkinson’s disease. Many of the exposed residents now suffer from one or more of these illnesses. A woman in the area recently passed away due to breast cancer, which her neighbors now believe was caused by the TCE. If she or other affected residents had known about the chemical, they may have been able to prevent these devastating diseases.
According to Charlotte Jesneck, the official handling the contamination, the residents were not alerted when the TCE was discovered because “there were higher risk sites on the radar at that time.” The Department of Environmental and Natural Resources continued to deceive the public for 6 years after the contamination was discovered, citing excuses of funding and time. Because of this supposed lack of funding on behalf, these residents were never informed about the possibility of their drinking water being contaminated. Diseases could have been prevented and families could have been saved from contamination if they had known about the chemical. Demand that the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources own up to their mistake and apologize to affected residents.
Dear North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources:
Recently, a community in Wake Forest learned their water had been contaminated with the cancer causing chemical trichloroethylene (TCE). The chemical had existed in the water for more than 5 years, and the residents had no idea of the contamination. TCE causes multiple forms of cancer and has been linked to Parkinson’s disease, which are diseases that have affected residents in the area.
I ask you to apologize to these residents for not informing them of the chemical. These people are angry that they did not know of the water contamination, and are worried for their families who have been exposed to TCE. Apologize to these people who have been deceived by your department and may have suffered extreme consequences for your negligence.
[Your Name Here]