Target: U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Goal: Urge the FDA to enforce caffeine level labels on energy drinks to avoid death and serious harm to consumers
A grieving mother of a 14-year-old girl who died last December after drinking two cans of Monster energy drink has filed lawsuit for the company’s failure to warn consumers of the drink’s fatal side effects. The examiner reported to Wendy Crossland that her daughter died from a cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity. The popular consumption of energy drinks such as Red Bull and Rock Star among teenagers and young adults has been growing and must be regulated to protect consumers from serious injury and even death.
According to a report by the Food and Drug Administration, five people have died over the past three years after drinking Monster energy drinks. The beverages are advertised as energy “shots,” but bodies are being shot down by the excessive intake of chemicals such as caffeine.
A shocking 240 milligrams of caffeine is found in a 24-ounce can of Monster. Since there are 34 milligrams of caffeine in a 12-ounce can of Coca-Cola, the consumption of one 24-ounce can of Monster is equivalent to four cans of soda. Although healthy adults can consume high levels of caffeine in drinks such as coffee and tea, the level found in energy drinks reaches far beyond the recommended daily caffeine intake and continues to pose serious life threatening effects to people with existing medical conditions.
Senator Richard J. Durbin from Illinois wrote a letter recently to the FDA urging the enforcement of side effect labels on energy drinks. Now many victim’s family members are feeling the same way after growing concern rapidly spreads across the nation. This petition will urge the Food and Drug Administration to place warning labels on every energy drink to avoid another consumer death.
Dear Food and Drug Administration,
I urge you to enforce caffeine level and side effect labels on all energy drinks to avoid serious injury and death to consumers around the nation. The recent reports of fatalities due to the excessive amounts of caffeine found in beverages such as Monster, Red Bull, and Rock Star, pose a serious life threat to people who consume these drinks. Especially those people with existing heart conditions where high levels of caffeine can have a fatal effect on the body.
A grieving mother who lost her daughter last December after she drank two 24-ounce cans of Monster, is an example of the reckless advertisement of safe energy “shots” gone bad. These fatalities can be avoided if the proper precautions are placed on the drinks to warn people of the possible side effects when consuming more than the recommended amount of caffeine. Please protect the consumers with the placement of warning labels on all energy drinks to avoid another tragedy.
[Your Name Here]
Photo Credit: takipokonai via Flickr