Tell Portland Mayor to Rescind Support of Citywide Water Fluoridation

water-from-faucet

Target: Portland Mayor Sam Adams

Goal: Stop support for fluoridation of the city’s local water supply.

Portland, Oregon has remained one of the last urban bastions of fluoride-free water, being the largest US city that hasn’t committed to forcibly medicating its residents. The city’s fluoride-free status has been upheld numerous times by public votes on the topic. Portlanders have made it clear that they desire fluoride-free water, and yet the City Council is on the verge of legalizing fluoridation. As Oregon’s Herald and News reports, Mayor Sam Adams has decided to join two other fluoride supporters on the five-member council, which is set to vote on the subject on September 12, 2012. In order to better serve his constituents and protect the health of thousands, Mayor Sam Adams must retract his support for fluoridation of Portland’s local water supply.

According to reports, a main factor behind Portland’s new push for fluorinated water is that the chemical helps prevent tooth decay. Even Mayor Adams maintains that the reason why his teeth are so white and allegedly very healthy is due to the fluorinated water he drank growing up in his hometown of Newport, Oregon. However, a quick visit to the City of Newport, Oregon’s Public Works page reveals that the city does not add fluoride to its water. Furthermore, it has been proven that large quantities of fluoride can actually cause tooth decay.

The bottom line is fluoride is a toxin that is extremely harmful to the human body. Buildup of the chemical has been proven to impede proper brain development, lower IQ levels, damage thyroid function, and cause cancer. Such terrible health problems are a cause for concern. In fact, despite pressure from the dental community, 99% of western continental Europe has rejected, banned, or stopped fluoridation due to its poisonous properties. Now, only 5% of the world’s population drinks fluorinated water, and more than 50% of these people live in North America.

Rather than succumb to the pressure of aggressive fluoride lobbyists, Mayor Sam Adams should take a stand for natural drinking water; the water of his youth. Like the rest of the western world fighting against water fluoridation, Portland, Oregon should fight as well by retaining its age-old moratorium against the toxic chemical. Sign the petition and urge Mayor Adams to keep fluoride out of Portland’s water supply.

PETITION LETTER:

Dear Mayor Sam Adams,

The people of your city have voted time and again against fluoridation of the local water supply. Fluoride is simply too dangerous and should not be forcibly administered to residents via their drinking water under the pretense that it will aid in dental hygiene. Even you grew up drinking natural water, and have great teeth to show for it.

In actuality, fluoride is a very dangerous substance that has been scientifically proven to cause many terrible ailments to the human body, which include brain damage, lower IQ levels, thyroid disorders, and even cancer. Adding such a toxin to the water supply is not only unhealthy, it is immoral, as it is your job to protect the residents of your city, not poison them.

Rather than succumb to the strong sentiments of fluoride lobbyists, look to the rest of the world. In western continental Europe only 1% of the local water supply is tainted by fluoride. The other 99% is protected by bans, rejections, and laws against the harmful poison.

Take action now to protect the well-being of your city. Rescind your support to add fluoride to the drinking water, and keep Portland a healthier place.

Sincerely,

[Your Name Here]

Sign the Petition

  • Only your name will be displayed. By signing, you accept our terms and may receive updates on this and related causes.
FacebookCare2 NewsTwitterEmailShare

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Facebook Comments

comments

126 Signatures

  • Hermann Kastner
  • Eric von Borstel
  • Marianne Oelman
  • Mal Gaff
  • jeff hopkins
  • Terrie Phenicie
  • Holly Hall
  • Alexander Dolowitz
  • Jutta Taraniuk
  • Melanie waleski
1 of 13123...13
Skip to toolbar