Justice for Dog Killed by Chemical Burns


Target: Chief Robert J. Shelide, Shelby Township, Michigan Chief of Police

Goal: Penalize owners of dog grooming business allegedly responsible for allowing a dog to die of poisoning while under their care.

No dog owner ever expects a routine visit to the pet groomer to end in tragedy. Sadly, that is exactly what happened to a Michigan couple whose dog was reportedly poisoned to death with chemicals during his stay at the Shaggy Dog Puppies and Supplies facility in Shelby Township, Michigan.

Max, a 7-year-old Cockapoo, was taken in by his owners for a haircut and nail trim. When they saw him next, he was foaming at the mouth, covered in chemical burns, and his hair was falling out. He was immediately rushed to the vet, but he soon died from his injuries. According to Shaggy Dog, Max was placed in a utility closet because he was barking too much, but no one bothered to remove the gallons of highly toxic chemicals being stored there. Somehow these chemicals spilled, causing Max’s untimely death.

To make matters worse, Max was not the only dog to have met his end at Shaggy Dog. In 2007, another dog reportedly died at the grooming center after being left unattended under a hot dryer for too long. Both of these dogs deserve justice. Although Shaggy Dog has recently announced that it will be shutting down due to intense public backlash, further action must be taken to ensure that these animals did not die in vain. Their heartbroken owners, whose lives will never be the same, deserve to find justice for their deceased pets. They deserve to find some peace of mind knowing that those responsible for killing their dogs have answered to the law.

The owners of Shaggy Dog Puppies and Supplies must be held fully accountable for their alleged actions by law enforcement. Demand that they be investigated for animal cruelty by signing below.


Dear Chief Shelide,

I was appalled to learn about the recent death of a beloved pet at the Shaggy Dog Puppies and Supplies facility in Shelby Township. Apparently because of the groomer’s neglect, a family lost their dog far too soon in a truly traumatic way. Their dog, Max, died at just 7 years old from fatal chemical burns after he was locked in a utility closet with no supervision.

As you may be aware, Shaggy Dog has decided to close its doors permanently. However, I believe that it is unjust to simply let these business owners close up shop without facing any legal repercussions. I ask that you launch an animal cruelty investigation and hopefully find justice for Max and his owners.


[Your Name Here]

Photo credit: Kathleen Tyler Conklin

Sign the Petition

  • Only your name will be displayed. By signing, you accept our terms and may receive updates on this and related causes.
FacebookCare2 NewsTwitterEmailShare

One Comment

  1. death to this dog killer is only right.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Facebook Comments


893 Signatures

  • Michele Cabot
  • Lens Lucas
  • heather langford
  • maria kljuce
  • Nan Newall
  • Julie Cavalca
  • Michelle Wood
  • Eveline Mutsaerts
  • lizzy jacobs
  • Allison Burgess
1 of 89123...89
Skip to toolbar