Stop Apple From Making Massive Amounts of Electronic Waste

Target: Tim Cook, CEO of Apple

Goal: Don’t implement new headphones in all future electronic devices that will create electronic waste and cost customers even more money.

Every year, technology continues to advance at a rapid pace which results in a significant amount of environmental waste. One of the forerunners of technological developments is Apple. The iPhone 7 is due to be released this year with an upgrade that is costly to the consumers and to the environment. This upgrade is a new type of headphone, which uses a lighting-port-based audio instead of the traditional and universal headphone jack. This means that customers everywhere will be unable to use headphones they currently own and will need to pay for new, technologically-advanced headphones. Since these new headphones are wireless, these electronic items will expend greater energy with use, making them a larger drain on the environment. It also means that scours of headphones will be useless and end up in trashcans and landfills.

According to the United Nations, 90 percent of the world’s electronic waste ends up illegally traded or dumped. Many products that contribute to electronic waste, or e-waste, can be reused, but often are not because of consumer laziness, confusion, or ignorance. Several years ago Apple changed its signature iPod dock connector, rendering billions of cords used to charge phones and tablets utterly useless. These perfectly functional cords ended up in landfills and incinerators across the globe. Humans create an estimated 50 million tons of e-waste each year, a number that could increase by 500 percent in the next ten years. Sadly, humans only bother recycling roughly 15 percent of all e-waste, leaving the remaining 85 percent as waste where it will contribute to the detriment of our environment.

The problems with this new design don’t end there. With wireless headphones, both the phone and the headset will need to send out a signal in order for them to continue working. A standard headphone jack does not use electrical energy to deliver the sound to the consumer’s ears. A wireless headset, however, will require more battery energy, thus more electricity in order to continue functioning. This is a further strain on the environment that poor planet Earth cannot afford.

By signing the petition below you will help urge the CEO of Apple to prevent this new development that harms both the customer and the environment.


Dear CEO Cook,

The iPhone 7 is a much awaited technological development that includes a sleek design and a new headphone function. As exciting as this new development is, it will also create additional costs for the consumers as well as a cost to the environment.

Fifty million tons of e-waste are produced each year, a number that is projected to increase by 500 percent in the next decade. Technological developments are great fun for the consumer and necessary for some professionals who depend on it in order to serve their communities; however, the repercussions of these technological advancements should not come at the expense of the consumer or the environment.

I am urging you to rethink implementing a new headphone system in the iPhone due to the havoc it will wreak on consumers’ wallets, and more importantly, the environment.


[Your Name Here]

Photo credit: Shaddack

Sign the Petition

  • Only your name will be displayed. By signing, you accept our terms and may receive updates on this and related causes.
FacebookCare2 NewsTwitterEmailShare

One Comment

  1. Gen Lovyet Agustsson says:

    recycle them now!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Facebook Comments


2622 Signatures

  • alessandro verzola
  • Carri Welsh
  • Nikki Owen
  • Lea Faulks
  • Doris Telles
  • Anita Dunhill
  • Amber Lee
  • Richard Ohlendorf
  • Christy Hanna
  • Lynn Juozilaitis
1 of 262123...262
Skip to toolbar