Target: Sean Reyes, Utah Attorney General
Goal: Bring to justice the parents whose one-year-old child died of an alleged heroin overdose.
On December 2, 2015, Penny Cormani was pronounced dead at just one year old. Upon performing an autopsy, the medical examiner reportedly found that Penny had a lethal amount of heroin in her system, along with Codeine. Both of Penny’s parents have been convicted of multiple drug-related crimes, and David and Sina Belgard, who owned the home in which Penny and her parents were living, had allegedly been witnessed using drugs.
Cassandra Richards, Penny’s mother, reportedly recalls doing laundry while her daughter played in the front room, and at 11 a.m. on December 2, she allegedly laid her daughter down for a nap with a bottle of Vitamin D milk. An hour later she reportedly went to check on Penny and found her unresponsive with blue lips. Richards reportedly performed CPR and Penny was rushed to the hospital, but declared deceased. After her death, the Belgards allegedly consented to a search, where numerous drug paraphernalia were found around the home.
Heroin is an opioid painkiller that is ingested in a number of ways, including ingesting, smoking, and snorting. Once heroin gets to the brain it converts to morphine, which binds to receptors in the brain that cause the user to feel euphoria. There have been numerous reported cases of accidental ingestion by toddlers and children globally. A child only needs to consume a small amount orally or nasally in order to have a fatal overdose.
By signing the petition below, you will help urge the Attorney General of the State of Utah to bring the alleged contributors to Penny’s death to justice.
Dear Attorney General Reyes,
On December 2, one-year-old Penny Cormani died of an alleged heroin overdose shortly after 12:00 p.m. The home in which she was living was allegedly littered with drug paraphernalia, and her parents have been convicted of drug related crimes on multiple occasions. It is a tragedy that a toddler could be in an environment where she is exposed to class A drugs and potentially consume a lethal quantity.
Each year, over seven thousand children two years old and younger are hospitalized due to accidental drug overdoses. It only takes a small quantity of a class A drug to be a fatal dose to a one-year-old child. Before her death, Penny Cormani reportedly played unsupervised in the front room of a house littered with burned tinfoil and burned straws coated in drug residue.
I am urging you to bring Penny’s alleged abusers to justice. Please take actions to enforce policies that demonstrate that the state of Utah will not tolerate children to be in an environment that enables them to accidentally ingest drugs.
[Your Name Here]
Photo credit: Pixabay