Target: CEO of Duke Energy, Lynn J. Good
Goal: Stop polluting North Carolina’s drinking water with toxic chemicals.
Toxic chemicals, such as vanadium, were recently found in residents’ drinking water in North Carolina. Officials believe that the contamination of water came from Duke Energy, which stores its coal waste in unlined pits near bodies of water. The chemicals in this waste seep into the ground water, polluting wells, rivers, and other waterways. Duke Energy has responded by giving affected residents bottled water, but the damage to the environment could take decades to fix. As an ongoing lawsuit is still in effect between Duke Energy and the government of North Carolina, we can provide our voices on this matter. Sign this petition and tell CEO Lynn J. Good that we do not tolerate the contamination of our water.
Duke Energy’s problems started in 2014 when a coal ash pond dumped over 82,000 gallons of ash into the Dan River, where it polluted the river for dozens of miles. The state mandated Duke Energy to clean up the waste, and a lawsuit began between the energy company and the government. Duke Energy does not claim responsibility for the polluted wells, but will hand out bottled water to residents as a precaution.
Activists and residents are growing increasingly concerned as the case deepens. With the reveal that toxic chemicals such as vanadium were found in their drinking water, residents are wondering if health problems that occurred in the past decade were somehow linked to the pollution in their water supply. Vanadium is linked to respiratory problems, so who knows what other chemicals could appear in further testing? Cleaning up the ash spill would cost millions of dollars, but the company has to do this. For the sake of the environment and those who live there, Duke Energy should take responsibility for its actions and clean up its act. By signing this petition you are telling CEO Lynn J. Good that you do not condone the contamination of our water supply, and future spills should not occur.
Dear Lynn J. Good,
State testing shows the presence of toxic chemicals in the wells of North Carolina residents. This is deeply concerning, as residents believe that this pollution could have been there for decades without their knowledge. Some believe that their health problems could have resulted from this contamination. I for one am deeply concerned that this kind of pollution could even have happened.
Residents should have access to clean water; instead, your company was solely responsible for contaminating an entire river. I firmly believe you should be punished for this action, as this incident not only affected human beings, but the animals as well. Providing bottled water to residents is not good enough. The consequences of your company’s ash spill will be felt for decades, and I hope your company will face severe punishment. In the future ensure that safeguards are in place to keep our water and the environment safe.
[Your Name Here]
Photo credit: Alexisrael