Provide Free Community College for All Students


Target: Mitch McConnell, Senate Majority Leader

Goal: Make community college free to encourage low-income and minority students to obtain higher education.

The cost of college has risen exponentially in recent years, effectively barring many from obtaining higher education. President Barack Obama recently announced plans to make community college free. This strategic plan to encourage more historically excluded low-income and minority students to attend college should be commended and supported by the U.S. Congress.

Obama’s plan is modeled after the Tennessee Promise, enacted by republican governor of Tennessee, Bill Haslam.  The plan, much like that of Tennessee, will make all community colleges free to students who meet certain requirements. Among those are enrolling at least half time at community college and maintaining a GPA of 3.5 or higher. The federal government will be paying for 75 percent of tuition costs while the individual states will cover the rest. The proposal is opposed by those who are against the state funding. They say that community colleges will not be able to handle the influx of students who will attend and that success has not necessarily been shown in regards to the plan in Tennessee.

However, most other developed nations around the world provide higher education at a reduced cost or for completely free. The United States’ higher education system is lagging far behind that of the rest of the world. If made a reality, this plan will benefit nearly nine million students and save each one almost $4,000 annually. With the high cost of education leaving most Americans in debt until their 30’s or 40’s, this sort of plan will help to solve the issue of higher education costs. More students will enroll in community college, which could encourage other colleges and universities to lower their costs to be more appealing. This plan could be the initial steps to combat the issue of rising education costs.

Please sign the petition below to support this plan and urge the United States Congress to make higher education a priority for all.


Dear Senator McConnell,

As you are aware, President Barack Obama has recently announced a plan for community college to be free to students meeting certain academic requirements. We are writing to ask that you support this plan to help combat the superfluously high costs of higher education.

Many Americans are stuck paying off their college debt into their 30’s or 40’s, while their peers in Europe are given free government-funded higher education. Obama’s plan would benefit nearly nine million students and save each almost $4,000 annually. This plan will not only help community college students, but likely all higher education students. When colleges and universities lose students to free community colleges, they will lower their tuition to attract more students. This is a very beneficial step in combating higher education costs.

This plan is modeled after the Tennessee Promise enacted by republican governor of Tennessee, Bill Haslam. It is 75 percent funded by the federal government, while the other 25 percent will be funded by the participating states. While it does come at a cost for the states, it is worth it to help out college students and help solve the issue of excessive college costs. Please consider these benefits and support this plan.


[Your Name Here]

Photo Credit: Lawrence Jackson via Wikipedia

Sign the Petition

  • Only your name will be displayed. By signing, you accept our terms and may receive updates on this and related causes.
FacebookCare2 NewsTwitterEmailShare

One Comment

  1. delvia Logan says:

    The community colleges in Orange County, CA gave me an excellent education and place in this society. Education does not hurt people it is the lack of it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Facebook Comments


81 Signatures

  • Gertie Hunt
  • Janet Delaney
  • Terrie Phenicie
  • Alice Rim
  • Jill Ballard
  • Holly Hall
  • Alexander Dolowitz
  • Mal Gaff
  • Kqy Martin
  • Melanie waleski
1 of 8123...8
Skip to toolbar