Target: Maricopa County Attorney, Bill Montgomery
Goal: Charge dog owner with animal cruelty for locking their young pit bull in a hot car where it suffered heat stroke and died
On June 2, a one-year-old pit bull was left in a hot car in Phoenix, Arizona while its owner, whose name has not been released, shopped at the Christown Spectrum Mall. As temperatures rose to well over 100 degrees, the car heated up like an oven. Sadly, by the time a security guard spotted the dog it was already too late. The pit bull puppy had passed away from exposure to excessive heat.
According to Fox 10 Phoenix, a security guard dialed 911 when he first noticed the dog at 3:30 p.m. He attempted to revive the pit bull by moving it to his golf cart and giving it water, but the helpless animal had already perished. Ashleigh Goebel with the Arizona Humane Society said, “It just needs to be known out there that if it’s too hot for you in your car, it’s obviously way too hot for your pets.” She continued, “It’s just really hot for animals this time of year and you can put them in scary, dangerous, situations if you’re not careful.”
On its website, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) offers pet owners tips for caring for their animals in the heat, so that future deaths can be prevented. The organization encourages owners to avoid placing their pets in hot cars stating, “Never leave an animal in a parked car in warm weather, even for short periods with the windows slightly open. Dogs trapped inside parked cars can succumb to heatstroke within minutes—even if a car isn’t parked in direct sunlight.”
Whether it was malicious or simply laziness, this Arizona dog owner’s actions led to the death of a young pit bull. By signing the petition below, you will encourage Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery to charge this negligent dog owner with animal cruelty charges.
Dear Mr. Montgomery,
I was shocked to learn that a pit bull had died in Phoenix, Arizona after being left in a hot car while its owner went shopping. This death was completely unnecessary and this poor dog’s owner should be held accountable for his or her actions.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) encourage dog owners to never leave their pets in unattended vehicles. It is well known that exterior temperatures in excess of 100 degrees, which it was that day, can quickly kill an animal that is trapped inside a vehicle. Please do everything in your power to bring animal cruelty charges against this deadly dog owner.
[Your Name Here]
Photo Credit: Marthy via Wikimedia Commons