Condemn PepsiCo for Marketing New Unhealthy Soda as Breakfast Drink

Target: Zein Abdalla, President of PepsiCo

Goal: Stop marketing unhealthy Mountain Dew Kickstart as a breakfast drink alternative.

PepsiCo, the makers of popular sodas such as Pepsi, Sierra Mist, and Mountain Dew, is releasing a new drink, Mountain Dew Kickstart. Mountain Dew Kickstart is advertised as an alternative to traditional morning beverages. However, the new drink contains artificial ingredients and additives, which make it a not-so-healthy breakfast choice. Sodas should stay out of breakfast meals and PepsiCo should not mislead consumers into thinking that Mountain Dew Kickstart is a suitable alternative to breakfast beverages.

The new soda is made in two flavors, orange citrus and fruit punch. Although these may sound like your typical morning drinks, Mountain Dew Kickstart is far from it. Containing only 5% fruit juice, this carbonated drink also has caffeine, along with high concentrations of high fructose corn syrup, phosphoric acid, and artificial chemical sweeteners. With its 92 milligram caffeine content, Mountain Dew Kickstart may appeal to those who are in need of a coffee alternative in the morning. However, Mountain Dew Kickstart’s caffeine content is significantly less than a medium sized coffee (approximately 300 mg caffeine). In addition, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), any beverage containing at least 5% juice is considered to be a juice. Therefore, PepsiCo is marketing Mountain Dew Kickstart as another form of juice for breakfast. This means that Mountain Dew Kickstart can be served to children at public schools as juice.

Obesity rates in the United States have skyrocketed to 35% of adults and more people are making the effort to eat healthier and cleaner. However, many people are often misled by large food corporations that are more interested in making a profit than providing healthy options. By selling Mountain Dew Kickstart as a breakfast drink, PepsiCo is allowing consumers to believe that this beverage is a suitable substitution for real fruit and fruit juice, as well as a coffee alternative.

As supported by nutrition experts and doctors, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Artificial ingredients and unnecessary chemicals should not compromise this meal. Sign this petition to condemn PepsiCo for marketing Mountain Dew Kickstart as a breakfast drink.

PETITION LETTER:

Dear Mr. Abdalla,

I was appalled to hear that PepsiCo is introducing a new drink called Mountain Dew Kickstart. The advertising of this product implies that Mountain Dew Kickstart is a breakfast drink alternative. However, the ingredients in Mountain Dew Kickstart indicate that this beverage is anything but a breakfast drink. I would like to urge you to reconsider the marketing of this product, as it is misleading and inaccurate.

Mountain Dew Kickstart contains only 5% juice. Although this qualifies as a fruit juice according to Food and Drug Administration standards, the other 95% of the drink consists of artificial ingredients and chemicals. This carbonated drink also has high fructose corn syrup, phosphoric acid, and artificial chemical sweeteners. A beverage containing these ingredients should not be consumed during the most important meal of the day—breakfast. With 92 milligrams of caffeine, Mountain Dew Kickstart may appeal to those who are in need of a coffee alternative in the morning. However, this caffeine content is less than the caffeine content in a medium sized regular coffee.

With obesity rates affecting one-third of American adults, food industries should be making an effort to produce and market healthier foods. By selling Mountain Dew Kickstart as a breakfast drink, PepsiCo is allowing consumers to believe that this beverage is a suitable substitute for real fruit and fruit juice. However, with the added artificial ingredients, unhealthy sweeteners, and unnecessary chemicals, Mountain Dew Kickstart has no place on the breakfast table. Please stop advertising this drink as a breakfast alternative.

Sincerely,

[Your Name Here]

Photo credit: simplebitsdan via Flickr

Sign the Petition

  • Your email will not be published. By signing you accept the ForceChange terms of service and may receive updates on this and related petitions.

Facebook Comments

comments

One Comment

  1. Who would want to ruin their health by drinking this disgusting stuff anyway?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.

Signatures

  • Jon hizle
  • Angela
  • Stefano Serpico
  • Debi Griffin
  • Roberts
  • Gregory Brown
  • Barbara Daniels
  • Troy Abraham
1 of 5123...5