Target: Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney
Goal: Tell presidential candidate Mitt Romney that half the American population are not freeloading parasites, contrary to his claim, and are entitled to basic human needs
Recently, Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney succeeded in offending half the American population by stating that poverty and low-income families suffer a fate that is not his concern, and that their dependency on the government is to blame for their laziness. Exactly 47 percent of Americans do not pay income taxes, Romney said, and therefore those 47 percent are self-proclaimed victims that only vote for President Obama because he will tax the rich, thus providing the money needed for them to sustain their miserable, freeloading lives. This 47 percent may very well include you or someone you know.
Of course, this claim was not made to the general public, but to a special audience that already planned to cast a Republican ballot in November. In a speech to private donors, Romney said this: “There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what … who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it — that that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. These are people who pay no income tax. … My job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”
In fact, the 47 percent of freeloading American citizens that will vote for the President “no matter what” are not only entitled to food, shelter, medicine, and general well-being, but they are also entitled to be completely outraged by the way Mitt Romney spoke of them.
However, the truth is that Romney is statistically correct – sort of. While approximately 46.4 percent of Americans do not pay federal income taxes, about two-thirds of this group pay payroll taxes, such as Medicare or Social Security, and have enough tax credits to shrink their federal income tax liability to zero. In essence, more than 80 percent of the population is employed and contributing to the government. The remaining 20 percent consists of elderly who are retired, and are therefore unemployed, and low-income families that make less than $20,000 per year. And this last group, nearly impoverished families working tirelessly without the luxuries of wealth and efficiency to improve living conditions for themselves and for their children, are the people any future President should be eager to assist. Instead, Romney sees them as self-proclaimed victims mooching off the government.
Tell Mitt Romney that this is neither an appropriate way to view, nor portray, American citizens. It is inappropriate to claim that any person is undeserving of basic human necessities. If Mitt Romney wishes to be the future President of the United States, he cannot refuse to take responsibility, especially when he is blessed with so much privilege.
Dear Mitt Romney,
While your speech was directed to a group of donors that undoubtedly chew up your rhetoric without a second thought, your remarks portraying 47 percent of Americans as freeloaders and deadbeats are extremely offensive. Not only do more than 80 percent of citizens contribute to the government, but the few that cannot due to poverty and low-income deserve your empathy, not a condescending brush-off.
You are blessed with wealth and privilege. It is entirely inappropriate to treat underprivileged people with contempt because of their situation. Your policies should aim to help them out of their circumstances as they are entitled to basic human needs such as food, health, and shelter. However, this speech proves that you care little about their well-being or future. You have no understanding of poverty nor the mental toll it takes on its “victims” as you say they call themselves. The truth is, these people are victims of a society that leaves the uneducated and underprivileged no way to prosper or get ahead, the way you think they so easily could if they only tried. This is not the problem. The problem is that you do not try to assist them, and for some reason, you do feel that you should.
[Your Name Here]
Photo Credit: Google Images